How to migrate Deepin 15.10 from unstable to stable version
Tofloor
poster avatar
davidchan1080p
deepin
2019-04-29 13:09
Author
Does anyone know how How to migrate Deepin 15.10 from unstable to stable version without the need of a fresh restallation?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
魔法师
deepin
2019-04-29 18:03

Cóng 15.9.2 Zhíjiē shēngjí dào 15.10 Jiù kěyǐle

Upgrade from 15.9.2 to 15.10 directly on it
Reply View the author
moryoav
deepin
2019-04-30 00:57
I would love to get the answer for this question as well. The previous answer was not helpful. How do I upgrade exactly? I'm now on 15.10 unstable, the press release said that support for the unstable version will stop on July 2018, I expect some easy way to migrate to the stable release.
Reply View the author
Пеја
deepin
2019-04-30 01:55
Well I think that install from ISO is the best way to go. Big change in stable release is new window manager and everything that goes with it. Don't know how upgrade would work. If you have separate home partition your  configs and data will stay intact on clean install.
Note that in 15.10 stable, store currently does not have large number of software and there are some rough edges in my opinion. I would wait a little bit to upgrade.
Reply View the author
bobo
deepin
2019-04-30 04:36
本帖最后由 bobo 于 2019-4-29 20:39 编辑

Agree with @prijatelj. The best way is to install from ISO. The software in the stable version takes time to catch up. The developer said there would be a way to switch from unstable to stable before the unstable is dropped from the maintenance, but he does not recommend it.

If you are interested in the dde-kwin, you may try it by
  1. sudo apt update && sudo apt install dde-kwin
Copy the Code

Please remove any kwin configs from other desktop environment before you try the dde-kwin.

By the way, I am using the dde-kwin on top of the unstable version. Everything is good so far. Dde-kwin feels more responsive than the old one.
Reply View the author
mkarwin
deepin
2019-07-22 00:04
OK, so now we're at 15.11. As per Deepin documentation, you are "unstable" if running:
cat   /etc/apt/sources.list |grep panda
gives you any lines... So eg.:

deb [by-hash=force] http://packages.deepin.com/deepin panda main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/deepin panda main contrib non-free

But that's basically the default for anyone who used/installed his/hers deepin prior to the 15.10-debian-stable release.

So the question is - if my "unstable"/previously-default installation is still "unstable" and that "unstable"/panda is no longer supported (as per Deepin's realease info unstable is not supported since 15.11), how can I be at "unstable" 15.11?
Moreover, how can I easily upgrade to the current default/stable branch?

Is there a plan to provide the upgrade to stable option for those currently running "unstable/panda"? I've got Deepin installed on around 40 home PCs of my family, in many cases there are no separate /home filesystems so installation over the previous edition could be problematic. Doing a fresh install on a single machine could be tedious when you have to repopulate the system with apps and settings of your choice. But do i on 30+ machines for different people, with different settings and you'd have to take a work leave or a pretty lengthy "vacation" at home to simply reinstall and reconfigure everything from scratch...

This also is far from the "install once, upgrade/update" idea that Deepin was promising. That's further accentuated by the fact that eg. *buntus that Deepin was once based on all offer nearly one-click option to switch between or upgrade between stable/LTS and normal releases, or that Debian that is currently used as the base offers the option to easily upgrade through the change of the repos from debian testing to debian stable followed with dist-upgrade...

So how come there is no in-currently-running-unstable-OS option to actually perform upgrade to the new "debian-stable"? Or that there is no mention of whether we can even expect any solution from within Deepin instead of "my hands are cleaned" approach that we seem to be experiencing now?
Reply View the author
Comments
granwille
2019-07-24 05:38
It also makes no sense to me how I am on 5.11, but I am on an unstable version. Based on that "panda" grep output. I need some clarification on this too.