opensuse,mint debian,
Tofloor
poster avatar
troyr
deepin
2016-07-08 01:28
Author
I really liked Opensuse Tumbleweed and Mint Debian was good also. For some reason Deepin reminds me of Dreamlinux which is now gone....That was my favorite for a while....
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
nomko
deepin
2016-07-08 01:43
Well... That's the problem with too many Linux distro's. They come and go. One of the disadvantages of an open-source operating system like Linux...too many people start creating their own distro thinking they can add something special to the immense list of distro's which (basically) is not the case.

Although some distro's looks much better than the competition, today you really need to do something extraordinary like deepin or Elementary OS (non-standard desktop environments) to get noticed and stay noticed.

As example, if you have (let's say) 25 distro's using the Xfce desktop environment, what will be the main difference between those distro's? Indeed! The usage of different themes! But as long they all use the same (standard Xfce) applications, the same desktop environment, the same window manager, there is basically no difference between the beside the usage of different themes. If you install distro A, there's not much effort to put in your installation to have your installation look like distro B or C or D...

Some distro's survive like Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse, Fedora and some more, because they have proven that they add value to what users really want. The rest are just spin-offs, forks or otherwise themed than (...) and not adding any value.

Reply View the author
troyr
deepin
2016-07-08 02:31
Edited by troyr at 2016-7-7 18:38

Well said Nomko, I've been trying to ween myself off window$ and could'nt agree with you more.  I'm so tired of malware, virus, trojan and rootkit prevention....! Thankyou for reading.
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-07-08 04:22
Solus is ok distro, they are slow with adding some software like skype, but they will do it in some point. They are not based on anything, independent distro. I was testing it...it's ok. They devlop own desktop too. I think they do not support other desktops than their own.
Reply View the author