Removing non-free/proprietary software
Tofloor
poster avatar
kfarwell
deepin
2015-02-23 11:52
Author
Is there a list of proprietary software included in the default Deepin 2014.2 Desktop installation?

I was able to find three non-free packages using vrms (crossover, b43-fwcutter, and firmware-b43-installer) and removed them with apt, but I also found Google Chrome and flashplugin installed in the Deepin Store, which I guess are not managed with apt. Is there any other non-free software installed?

I found a directory called cxoffice under /opt along with Chrome. What is cxoffice? Is it non-free too?

I noticed that various non-free apt repositories were enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list, so I removed the non-free, restricted, universe, and multiverse repos. I left main and haven't encountered any problems so far. The sources.list file says that it was created by deepin software center and recommends against manually modifying it though. Will my changes be overwritten? Is there a better way to remove the various non-free repos through the software center?

Is all the Deepin software (Deepin Store, Deepin Music, the desktop environment, etc.) GPLv3+?

Does Deepin Translate get translations from the network, or does it use a local database? Does disabing Deepin Music's lyric display stop it from searching the net for lyrics? Can cover art fetching be disabled? Does any other software do potentially unwanted things over the network?

I'll try installing linux-libre from jxself's apt repo. Is there anything else that needs to be done to free the default Deepin install?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dadix
deepin
2015-02-24 10:56
A free version of Deepin without proprietary software, repositories  and blobs like Trisquel will be great !!!
Reply View the author
016hnoor
deepin
2015-03-13 21:19
I left main and haven't encountered any problems so far. The sources.list file says that it was created by deepin software center and recommends against manually modifying it though.

Our excellent online http://spanishprograms.com/        training programs will lead you to success in the We als offer latest and spanishprograms - learn spanish in madrid with 100% success guarantee. Our learn spanish        is rare in IT world. King's College London (KCL)
Reply View the author
kfarwell
deepin
2015-03-15 08:38
Just removing the repositories doesn't remove the packages from them, and it seems a lot of them are essential. I tried adding the main Deepin repos to Trisquel but wasn't able to install anything (I only tried a couple packages though, including DDE and Deepin Music) because of missing dependencies.
Reply View the author