[Share Experiences] One Week of Daily Office Work Using deepin/UOS Systems
Tofloor
poster avatar
SuperDavid
2024-08-22 13:39
Author

I have been using Deepin and UOS systems for over a week now, transitioning from confusion to being able to meet my office needs.

During this period, I encountered problems such as system installation issues, Raid1 array disk issues, daily office software issues, printer issues, external monitor issues, phone-to-computer connectivity issues, and synchronization disk issues. Generally, by searching for information online, I could find answers from helpful users' posts.

1. Installation Issues:

I used a USB drive for installation (downloaded the ISO image file from the official website), in full-disk mode (on an idle computer). Initially, the installation failed, but I found that I needed to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and change the boot drive to USB (which is essential). After that, the installation went smoothly, and it was faster and simpler than installing Windows. I installed it on Thinkpad W541/W530, Lenovo Yoga Tablet2-1051, and Dell M6800 without any issues. I also installed Deepin, UOS, and Kylin, and all installed successfully. Deepin doesn't require activation, UOS Family Edition provides five free activation codes (one per month), and Kylin also offers free personal-use activation codes (which I haven't applied for). Kylin's software compatibility is good, but its hardware drivers need improvement as it couldn't recognize my wireless card. Hence, I stopped using it. Deepin has strong hardware adaptability and driver compatibility, suitable for users who like to tinker. UOS is more suited for general users and is easy to switch from Windows, with a rich application ecosystem.

2. Raid1 Array Disk Issues:

UOS Family Edition does not support the motherboard's built-in Raid1, recognizing the two mirrored disks separately, which is a bit disappointing. Deepin can recognize physical disk arrays, and since I prefer using Raid1 for data storage, Deepin easily resolves this for me. This is why I ultimately chose Deepin (I still have one UOS system on trial). I suggest backing up your data and trying a few times, as it differs from Windows, and you might risk losing data if not handled correctly. Once you understand it, reinstalling won't delete the data on independent disks.

3. Application Software Issues:

• WeChat: Works well; I use the Wine version without any major issues. If needed, you can copy the data from Windows to an independent data disk and modify WeChat's storage directory to display previous data.
  • DingTalk: Works well on Kylin without issues, but is problematic on Deepin and UOS regardless of the version. You can barely use the Wine version by selecting the rich text input icon in the input box.
  • Enterprise WeChat: Works well.
  • Foxmail: Works well, especially for integrating data from over ten years on Windows. You need to modify the FMStorage.list file using Notepadqq to point to the data directory on the independent disk. This might be challenging for general users, but it's worth spending time on for data security.
  • Other applications like WPS Office, Youdao Cloud Notes, input methods, compression software, and download software are available in the system's application store with good compatibility. If not found, try the Spark App Store. There are many open-source tools in Linux; you can find most of them online.
  • CAD Software: There are several domestic commercial versions in the system that require payment. I use the open-source LibreCAD with DWG conversion software for basic 2D purposes. For 3D software, SolidWorks and ProE have Linux versions, and there are some free open-source options.
  • Sync Backup Software: I used FreeFileSync on Windows, which has a Linux version. In Deepin, I use Unison from the app store, which is convenient for backups.

4. Printer Issues:

I set up an HP printer (driver downloaded from the app store) and a Pantum printer (driver from Pantum's official website; the app store driver didn't work). Installation was straightforward.

5. External Monitor Issues:

My machine has an integrated and a discrete graphics card. Initially, I couldn't get the external monitor to work, but I found that installing the "Graphics Card Switch Plugin" (dde-dock) from the Spark Store and switching the graphics card from the desktop icon after rebooting worked. It's almost like Windows; for more advanced users, the xrandr command is available, but I prefer simple window operations.

6. Phone-to-Computer Connectivity Issues:

Using a data cable is the simplest method. For wireless connections, install KDE Connect with sudo apt install kdeconnect in the terminal and install KDE Connect on your phone from Google Play.

7. Sync Disk Issues:

I use Tianyi Cloud Disk. The app store versions for Deepin and UOS can be installed but need optimization. They don't sync as seamlessly as on Windows, so I manually toggle the sync switch. Previously built NAS systems also work.

8. Others:

• Left-Handed Mouse: Install comixcursors-lefthanded with sudo apt install comixcursors-lefthanded and select it in the control center's cursor theme options.
  • Antivirus Software: UOS has a built-in security manager. For Deepin, you can install 360, which is ad-free. Contrary to the belief that Linux has no viruses, I found trojan viruses during use.
  • In UOS, the security manager can set up startup applications. In Deepin, right-click the desired application in the launcher and select the startup option.

Overall, domestic Linux systems run faster than Windows (likely due to fewer codes and streamlined functions) and are adequate for general office work. I suggest general users start with UOS, tinkerers use Deepin, and those preferring rigor use Kylin. The more users, the better the software ecosystem will become. There are plenty of open-source tools in Linux, making it easy to start from the desktop.

If asked to switch back to Windows, I probably wouldn't. This week-long experience, solving issues one by one, has been interesting, and I no longer want to see Windows notifying me to transfer data to foreign servers.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
hellouos
deepin
2024-08-26 10:02

FreeFileSync have linux banben,but mei you for arm64's version,so need you ziji bianyi.

Reply View the author