English Translation Improvements
Tofloor
poster avatar
rogermhsu
deepin
2020-06-01 22:08
Author
Edited by rogermhsu at 2020-6-1 14:11

Hello all, I'm a relative newcomer to Linux and have been following the Deepin project with great interest. The team has done a fantastic job in making Deepin the most beautiful Linux distro available!

However... Deepin is not perfect. Particularly for native English speakers, there are quite a few areas where the English translations and phrasings are... very odd. These strange translations can result in a negative perception of the product.

I recently installed the Deepin 20 Beta on a virtual machine and decided to create a document showing what areas need some work as well as suggestions on improving them. These are outlined in a publicly accessible Google Slides document that anyone can comment on. I would welcome starting a discussion on this matter with anyone interested, and would also be open to helping with translations in other parts of the OS (I am a native English speaker in case you're wondering).

Anyhow, below is the link to the slides. Comments welcome!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1c0yQh1jgGzmn00hmrGgqiKT8UHy8BuomAHU1yYffleU/edit?usp=sharing

My understanding is that Google services may not be easily accessible within China so if people have problems opening this doc, let me know and I can export to another format.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
鲁鹏
Junior Packager
2020-06-01 23:31
As you know, we can't access this Google Slides doc in China without the help of a VPN. It's much better to use other free alternative tools like WPS Cloud.
Reply View the author
DavidTavares
deepin
2020-06-01 23:51
I have just transformed the document into a PDF so that everyone can read it :
https://lvtommydeb.b-cdn.net/englishtranslationimprovements.pdf

Reply View the author
deepiner
deepin document team
2020-06-04 18:57
Thanks for your work.
I have read all your suggestions, and would like to change them in later versions.
Reply View the author
n***[email protected]
deepin
2023-02-21 23:38
It has been deleted!