The Statement Of New Upgrade Policy and Application Downgrade
Tofloor
poster avatar
aida
deepin
2018-10-23 18:52
Author
Recently, we received the feedback that after installing a third-party package manually, the system update failed. After testing, we found that in most cases, the reason is not the installed third-party package, but the package that the third-party package depends on. During deepin upgrade, the dependencies versions will be seriously conflicted with the package versions in system upgrade.
When the user upgrades deepin, according to the priority policy, the low version packages will be uninstalled, which will result in system failure that user cannot enter the desktop. Although we have performed multiple rounds of testing before the release, as we only test system upgrade in standard repositories without user scenarios such as third-party packages installed, we cannot perform simulations and thus unable to perform coverage tests.

In order to avoid similar problems to a certain extent, we have adjusted the priority of the package repository. If the package version is inconsistent with the official repository and the package is not set with apt-mark command (sudo apt-mark hold package), it will be synchronized to the official version when updating, ensuring stable system for common users. If you are sure that you need it and have the ability to resolve the dependencies, please use apt-mark to force keep your higher version after package installation. To get the new versions of software such as code and chrome, you can ask for official updates.

Here is the example to prevent application downgrade:
To keep your version of google chrome, please use apt-mark command:

sudo apt-mark hold google-chrome-stable

Source post: https://bbs.deepin.org/post/168478

In V15.8,we'll cancel this policy.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
sukarof
deepin
2018-10-24 08:40
Thank you for the explanation and the solution! Now I know there is a logical reason. Much appreciated!
Reply View the author
s***[email protected]
deepin
2018-10-24 18:26
Thank You!
Reply View the author
jh******[email protected]
deepin
2018-11-04 17:45
If you use Discord, you must download it from its official website, install it and place the command
  1. sudo apt-mark hold discord
Copy the Code
Reply View the author
andu12344321
deepin
2018-12-03 09:46
please help me, i can't install deepin-draw
Reply View the author
mangudai
deepin
2019-05-19 10:16
Do I need to do this for applications installed via Flatpak?
Reply View the author
superendermansm
deepin
2019-06-21 07:53
mangudai 发表于 2019-5-19 02:16
Do I need to do this for applications installed via Flatpak?

This bug had beed foxed in 15.8 so dont be worried.
Reply View the author
ciwen
deepin
2019-12-17 00:02
nice job , it's will be more and more nice.
Reply View the author