Unable to activate Window Effects and brightness issues on Ryzen 5 2500u
Tofloor
poster avatar
habios
deepin
2018-10-20 13:51
Author

I have an HP Pavilion 15-cw0009la with Ryzen 2500u and Radeon Vega 8

I installed Deepin with the full disk option and turns out it created four: EFI, root, home and data. I dind't mind and kept going.

So, the issues of the fresh install are:
>No Windows Effects
>Static brightness

BUT, there are some erros during the boot, which are pic related.

What I've tried is the following (not considering the boot errors):
>Update the kernel (Deepin uses 4.15 by default)
        I get the pre-compiled deb versions from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ (Installed 4.18)
>Install Vega Drivers
        I download the bin files from https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/ and copy them to /lib/firmware/amdgpu/
>Edit the ~/.config/deepin/deepin-wm-switcher/config.json file's parameter "{"allow_switch":false,"last_wm":"deepin-wm"}
" to {"allow_switch":true,"last_wm":"deepin-wm"}
>Installing mesa-vulkan-drivers (Nothing happened)

So, after trying anything of these, Deepin have the following issues:
>No Windows Effects
>Brightness can be adjusted now, but the max level is too low

So, I did google about the booting errors and found out I had to edit the grub and add the following parameter.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="libata.noacpi=1"

What I found out in the file was GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet" so I did change it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash libata.noacpi=1"

What happened was that after the reboot, brightness was at normal levels and Windows Effects were back, I had no issues at all and everything was functional.

BUT I installed Deepin with the default partitions (as mentioned at the beginning) and it dedicated only 11 GB to my root, which is bad if i wanted to install a ton of stuff, which I do. So I decided on formatting and make the partitions myself (EFI, swap and root), but now anything of the above won't work. I've formatted like 6 times already and still can't get it right. Been trying the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash libata.noacpi=1" parameter with/without splash, splash quiet. Also by editing the file right after installation, updating, kernel update, graphics installation, and all of that in different orders, still nothing.

I'm getting desperate now because last time I solved it withing 20 minutes, and now I've been 6 hours at this.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
habios
deepin
2018-10-20 21:24
Edited by habios at 2018-10-20 13:27

I finally solved it, I did was the following:

1. Install Deepin
2. Edit the ~/.config/deepin/deepin-wm-switcher/config.json file
        "{"allow_switch":false,"last_wm":"deepin-wm"}" change it into "{"allow_switch":true,"last_wm":"deepin-wm"}"
3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
4. Edit /etc/default/grub
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet" change it into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="libata.noacpi=1"
5. ls /sys/class/backlight/ and check your screen adapter, in my case was amdgpu_bl0
6. Go into amdgpu_bl0 and edit the brightness file, in my case it has a single number: 12. Change it into a higher number, like 100. That would be the maximum brightness value and you can see the brightness increase right after you save the file.

From there you can install your software, the latest drivers or kernel, whatever you want.

One issue still remains though, when you decrease brightness it is just color management, it's not real brightness decreasing.
Reply View the author
habios
deepin
2018-11-27 13:40
Edited by habios at 2018-11-27 07:35

Both issues seem to have been solved in Deepin 15.8, I just did a clean installation and had Windows Effects enabled and working, also the brightness now changes backlight levels instead of just applying a gray filter. I only have to thank the Deepin team for resolving this issue and hopefully this affects to all Ryzen laptops out there for an easy transition into Deepin.
Reply View the author