Outdated software in Deepin store
Tofloor
poster avatar
sukarof
deepin
2018-09-15 22:05
Author
Does anyone know why much of the software in the repository are outdated? For example the browser Vivaldi that is version 1.13 but the latest is 1.15. Firefox is version 60 and the 'live'firefox is version 62, and there are many others. Is it because Deepin staff has to modify the software somehow before it is released in the store? Does the  'ask for update' button have any effect and how?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
wtz
deepin
2018-09-15 23:04
Just because updating software takes time, and deepin stuff is limited in manpower.
If you do need a fast update, come join them, or make donation. Otherwise, do no expect them as what the GIANT (Google, M$, Apple) do.
Reply View the author
sukarof
deepin
2018-09-16 02:34
I understand that. I just wonder exactly what they (or other distros for that matter) do that takes time. Is it that they test the software, like firefox so it doesn't brake Deepin or do they adapt the software somehow to Deepin.
I am mostly curious, not meant to be criticism per se, if anyone perceived it like that. Personally I just dont use the store to install software that I want the latest version of. Besides, Deepin has this wonderful "Deepin package manager" that installs .deb files with the latest version ridiculously easy. For example Vivaldi and Firefox, and once you've done that they update themselves and you don't have to be dependent of the Deepin store for that.
Reply View the author
s***[email protected]
deepin
2018-09-16 04:15
You can Manually Update Browser and Other App too.
Reply View the author
drgeyikreoman
deepin
2018-09-16 04:51
Additional info:

I tested firefox 62 via debian unstable repository and it has problem.
Reply View the author
h***[email protected]
deepin
2018-09-17 02:05
From 15.8 planning

Preview Repository        Users can directly experience the latest deepin features, and the updates from the Debian upstream repository.
Reply View the author
wtz
deepin
2018-09-17 05:56
本帖最后由 wtz 于 2018-9-16 22:01 编辑
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/168905
I understand that. I just wonder exactly what they (or other distros for that matter) do that takes  ...

Personally I don't feel software repositories are updated too slowly (and they shouldn't be updated too frequently, in means of a reliable distro). The latest versions usually have more bugs than the stable versions, so they break things easily. That's why I switch from Arch (and Manjaro) to deepin (and Mageia).
Reply View the author