Tofloor
poster avatar
bidibu
deepin
2018-04-10 10:50
Author
Edited by bidibu at 2018-4-10 02:57

Hi all,
I'm currently using deepin 15.5.1 on a desktop PC running an i7 8core 3.4ghz 16Gib RAM and everything is amazing!
Everything apart from my GPU, an Asus R7 360 OC 2Gb.
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/R7360OC2GD5/

This gpu works good, I have 2x 19'' screens connetted that have been detected and setup without the need of a single click for me! (WOW!). The whole installation fly over, and after reboot the system is ready, needing just to be used. (well, keyboard layout was wrong, but this is all.) So I was falling in love with deepin.

BUT hey, too much good to be true!!!
Right now I'm using deepin maybe since 5 months. Sometimes it keep working for 2 weeks, sometimes just for 2 days, the longest run took about 3 months.
I mean, after a certain time deepin broke, and always as a result of some kind of problem linked to the GPU.
I tried to install the official drivers, but they support kernel as old as 3.5 or something similar, so can't install in deepin.

At every installation i got an error as 'failed to load kernel modules.......', and googling it i found that was related to a kernel module that disable nvidia graphics (?), so this was easy to solve.
Every time I faced my system breaking, I discovered to be linked in some way to the GPU, and I never found a solution, just finished in reinstalling deepin again. and again.

Right now my system freeze during boot, with an error that says:
  1. kfd kfd: kgd2kfd_probe failed
Copy the Code

Now my question is:
Does anybody around here can suggest me something to do, apart from buying a new (and best supported) GPU, or switching to another (MAYBE more compatible with my gpu) OS......

I repeat, i was always using deepin 'out of the box' drivers as i never managed to find out any way to install different drivers for my gpu. But hey, I am brand new talking about linux, so maybe someone out there has much to teach to me....

Thank you.

PS: system failures are apparently random: sometime after a system upgrade, sometime after the installation of a wine application, sometime after just sending an email from the browser, but hey, i had sent tons of email without breaking anything before..... I mean, I can't find a link with what-I-was-doing-last-time-I-used-deepin, but hey I'm not Sherlok Holmes.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies

No replies yet