Loving Deepin, But what's up with all of the outdated packages in Software Ce...
Tofloor
poster avatar
r***[email protected]
deepin
2017-02-28 13:11
Author
Loving Deepin but they need to devote more time updating packages.  Kodi 17 has been final release for a while now yet we still only have access to a beta version.  Also Firefox is still version 48.  All the advances on the desktop is great but no distro is going to remain interesting with outdated packages.  Any feedback provided is appreciated. Thanks
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
r***[email protected]
deepin
2017-03-21 05:54
Any update on this.  Would 15.4 ship with updated packages?  Feedback on this would be great.
Reply View the author
michaeljayt
deepin
2017-03-21 19:06
Thank you for reminding us, we'll create tasks to update these software. As it's a semi-automatic process, it can be a bit slow to update them, hope that you could understand
Reply View the author
r***[email protected]
deepin
2017-04-20 11:27
thanks updating software packages will make Deepin more attractive.   
Reply View the author
snowboarder74
deepin
2017-04-25 13:53
I think it boils down to the fact that Deepin is based on Debian 6.2.0-11.
Considering that Debian is on version 8.7 currently, it's disappointing that Deepin is based on such an old base but the devs must have their reasons...overall stability, etc???
I don't know though.
Reply View the author
r***[email protected]
deepin
2017-05-03 12:46
wow that's crazy.  Think I will look elsewhere for a base and use this as a vm to look at and play with
Reply View the author
soar_sola
deepin
2017-05-04 13:04
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/135295
wow that's crazy.  Think I will look elsewhere for a base and use this as a vm to look at and play w ...

"based on" doesn't mean all packages are coming from Debian 6.2.0-11. From what I see, deepin does have its own packages, in which some software upgrade is even as aggressive as Arch. For example, deepin uses kernel version 4.9 now, which is the only kernel version fully support latest AMD CPUs.

It's just we need to bring the software to their attention so they can update them ASAP
Reply View the author