Should I install deepin on SSD or HDD?
Tofloor
poster avatar
puleta
deepin
2016-09-05 11:10
Author
Hi, on my laptop i have win 10, 1TB HDD and recently I replaced CD case for SSD( samsung 850EVO 120GB) , and now I want to install deepin but also want to keep win10 .
My question is do I install deepin on HDD or SSD?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
stevex
deepin
2016-09-05 14:41
I would install Deepin on SSD in order to keep Windows on its' own disk away from the other distro. You could easily transfer W10 to the SSD and install Deepin on the HDD, but whatever you decide, I suggest you use different disks. I suggest this because W10 causes many boot problems. I have ,on my desktop pc, W10 on one SSD and Deepin OS on the other SSD, and so far so good. I first installed W10 on SSD and physically unplugged that SSD and then installed Deepin on the other SSD, and then reconnected the W10 disk, booted into Deepin and updated Deepin grub bootloader. This way, W10 can update properly without breaking anything. Whatever you decide, it's nice that you have two disks on a Laptop.
Reply View the author
puleta
deepin
2016-09-05 23:09
So I should unplug HDD when I`m installing Deepin on SSD, and one more question. How much storage does Deepin take ?
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-09-06 04:29
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31441
So I should unplug HDD when I`m installing Deepin on SSD, and one more question. How much storage do ...

Whether or not to unplug W10 while installing Deepin is up to you. I suggested it because W10 will attempt to influence the behavior of both disks if you leave it connected when installing Deepin to the second disk. As for storage with Deepin, you probably need a minimum 15 to 30 GB, but you might need the full 120GB or more if your store a lot of videos, etc. on it. Hope this helps.
Reply View the author
puleta
deepin
2016-09-06 09:56
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31441
Whether or not to unplug W10 while installing Deepin is up to you. I suggested it because W10 will ...

Thank you, it does help, in a couple weeks case caddy for SSD should arrive, and when I finish installation od Deepin I will let you know. Wish me luck
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-09-06 10:22
Good luck.
Reply View the author
wanywhn
deepin
2016-09-08 02:18
i installed win and Deepin in SSD while HHD used as such /home in deepin and D: E: in win .this gives me wonderful experience (very fsat) .
i first install win in SSD and install Deepin,and use
sudo update-grub
to get win10 back.
Reply View the author