Cannot boot to livecd environment on Asus X552LD
Tofloor
poster avatar
farihinfong
deepin
2015-12-21 11:44
Author
Hi, i really appreciate your work on deepin, it's awesome! I'm getting an error on my Asus X552LD notebook, i5, 4gb RAM, 500GB hdd etc, that it does not boot to livecd/install environment and hangs at an error screen as attached. Thereafter i have to just cold shutdown and start again. [attach]10157[/attach]

(sorry if the image is upside down, i dunno why.)
I think got something to do with the nvidia + intel internal graphics. So I tried noapic, acpi off, nolapic, nomodeset, etc. Even upgraded the bios from 302 to 307, still get this error when i boot the iso. Btw i'm using drivedroid to boot the iso.

I have tried booting the same iso on a virtualbox, it works. I have checked the ISO md5 checksum, it is correct. Just on my machine proper, it doesn't. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Farihin Fong

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
farihinfong
deepin
2015-12-22 02:21
Never mind, I found the solution at http://unix.stackexchange.com/qu ... g-new-graphics-card
I clicked f6 and selected no modeset then added text  'modprobe.blacklist=nouveau' after the 'quiet splash -- ', then it booted to the installation. It's a debian issue with nouveau (nvidia) based cards. I hope deepin team can take note of this as there are a lot people using this type of nvidia + intel chipset graphic cards nowadays. Thanks.
Reply View the author
farihinfong
deepin
2015-12-22 02:42
Of course the issue will still arise after successful installation, so here's what to do afterwards:
1. during boot grub screen, click 'e' to edit the first line of grub, add 'nomodeset' right after the 'quiet splash' text.
2. Ctrl+x
3. It will boot to deepin 15
4. then get to terminal, root it via sudo passwd, then su (not good practice btw)
5. nano /etc/default/grub
6. add 'nomodeset' right after the 'quiet splash' text
7. Ctrl+x then 'y'
8. restart and see whether all goes well.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-22 13:47
Thanks for all the detailed and useful info. Glad you got it figured out. Linux and Nvidia have had their differences. Linus Torvalds brought this to an explicit head in 2012. Nvidia still prefers not to roll its driver code into the Linux kernel. It's an open source vs proprietary issue.
Reply View the author
mikaere66
deepin
2015-12-25 10:16
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30486
Of course the issue will still arise after successful installation, so here's what to do afterwards: ...

Don't forget to update-grub after making those changes =)
Reply View the author