[System Installation] My opinion from a user's perspective
Tofloor
poster avatar
h***[email protected]
deepin
2024-09-20 01:18
Author

I installed the system on two computers:

• Acer Nitro 5 (I5 9th generation; GPU GTX1650)
  • Macbook Pro a1297 Late 2011 (I7 2nd generation; GPU Intel 3000)

What's good:

MacBookPro

1. WIFI drivers (Broadcom) were automatically installed after installation. Other distributions required a cable connection and manual driver download first. Wow - that's great.
  2. MacBook has a 1TB HDD. I thought the system would be slow, but it works better and more responsive than with Catalina Patcher. On OCLP with Ventura the system was unusable on the HDD. Wow - that's great too.
  3. Battery management and temperatures are very good. On Deepin battery it lasts about 4h, on MacOS about 2h. The battery is no longer new. While browsing the internet, the processor temperature is around 55 degrees. With YouTube HD, around 75 degrees. On MacOs, 65 degrees and 85-95 degrees, respectively.
  • Acer Nitro
  1. Installation without a problem. All drivers (Nvidia) detected and installed
  2. I was very surprised when it turned out that the XBOX pad pairs immediately without my intervention. In other distributions, I had to install xpadneo. This is great.
  3. Heroic installs without a problem. Games from STEAM work.
  4. In the AppStore, applications are updated quickly, e.g. VirtualBox, Heroic, Firefox are from September.
  5. The responsiveness and smoothness of the system animations are ok. There are no lags.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
h***[email protected]
deepin
a day ago

What I miss in my ideal system:

• STEAM does not work with Appstore - it requires a 32-bit library. You have to do it yourself (I will not litter here how to do it, but it may be too difficult for new users). It should be automatic and easy for new users. The flatpak version installs and starts, but due to the lack of permissions it does not have access to the disk (DDE does not support or does not support portals well).
  • Some games in Heroic do not start (in other systems, for example, METRO TRILOGY worked)
  • I miss integration with Google Calendar and Google Drive in the file manager.
  • App Store - very unclear which package is DEB and which is LingLong (often two packages in different versions are shown in the App Store)
  • App Store has only a light theme
  • After installing Heroic, it required Wine and the games did not start. Only installing Wine Runner helped. There should be some dependency to Wine in the case of this package. Maybe I did something wrong, but just installing deepin-wine8-stable didn't help either. Only Wine Runner solved my problem.
  • On MacBook, sometimes the touchpad doesn't work after waking up. The system doesn't freeze, because I can operate the system with the keyboard, but the cursor doesn't move. No response to the touchpad.
  • On Acer Nitro, I still have a problem with putting the system to sleep. When I close the lid, the system continues to work. I have to open the lid and close it again. Then the system goes to sleep. I don't know what it depends on. It's never been like that on various other systems.
  • Power management on Intel supposedly works, but the fans are loud. The temperatures are ok and change depending on the mode, so you can see when it's in performance mode, for example. However, the best results in my case are given by installing tlp. Then the fans are quiet. The temperatures are ok, and so is the performance. Perhaps setting RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_DENYLIST="mei_me" in tlp for hybrid cards in laptops causes the temperature to drop and eliminates the need for greater ventilation, but I don't know.
  • Flatpaks have a problem with permissions.
  • I miss Hot Corners
  • I miss information from developers on how to easily use LingLong. Will they be in the AppStore or through a browser like flathub. How to search, install (I know ll-cli but I miss the simplicity of use for new users, or I don't know how to do it).
  • connecting bluetooth headphones causes me to add two devices. One as speakers with a microphone, and the other as speakers. By default, speakers with a microphone are set as the output and I don't know why, but when I change songs, either on YouTube or in the music application, it disconnects my bluetooth headphones. When I set speakers as the output source, everything works correctly. So every time I have to change the default source as speakers. I've never had this problem with bluetooth headphones in other systems.
  • It would be nice if you could set a different wallpaper in light mode and a different one in night mode, or if you could support HEIC wallpapers.
  • I miss an app like reflector to automatically select the fastest servers
  • The GRUB wallpaper is of low quality
Reply View the author
Merlin
Super Moderator
Product Manager
8 hours ago

Thank you for your recognition.

Reply View the author