[Share Experiences] Solving the Issue of Koodo Reader Not Starting Due to X Display
Tofloor
poster avatar
SuperDavid
2024-08-08 11:17
Author

Koodo Reader is an e-book reader that supports multiple formats and has a clean and beautiful interface. However, on the Deepin v23 beta version, it fails to function properly regardless of whether it is installed from the Spark Store or the official open-source deb package. The following method successfully resolved the issue.

Error Symptoms

After installing Koodo Reader, desktop or start menu program icons do not generate correctly. It can only be started via the command line, which returns an error:

ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(1409)] Unable to open X display.

Solution

Declare the variable:

export DISPLAY=":0"

Start the command:

koodo-reader --headless

Note: Other similar issues found online suggest adding the --disable-gpu parameter, but in practice, this causes the error ERROR:gpu_init.cc(441)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is swiftshader.

Successful startup:

Further Issues

After running for some time, additional errors may appear when multiple GPU threads are started:

[61680:0911/180526.544246:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)]InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

(koodo-reader:56666): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:48:04.362: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.

These errors do not affect usage for now, and I will update with solutions later if found.

Creating a Shortcut

Create Koodo.desktop in the ~/Desktop directory:

touch ~/Desktop/Koodo.desktop

Enter the following content:

[Desktop Entry]

# Shortcut name

Name=Koodo

Name[zh_CN]=Koodo

# Icon path

Icon=/persistent/home/MyHost/package-script/template/256x256.png

# Program path

Exec=koodo-reader --headless

Terminal=false

Type=Application

Categories=Application

Icon

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Owensuwu
deepin
2024-08-08 13:31

do you recommend Koodo? i was using calibre for e books

Reply View the author
SuperDavid
2024-08-09 17:49
It has been deleted!
SuperDavid
2024-08-09 17:49
Owensuwu

do you recommend Koodo? i was using calibre for e books

Yes, I recommend Koodo Reader. If you prefer a clean and straightforward reading experience, Koodo is a great option. While Calibre is powerful for managing and converting e-books, Koodo focuses on making reading enjoyable. Just note that on Deepin v23, you might need to tweak some settings to get it running smoothly, but it's worth it.

Reply View the author