[Newbies] Deepin 20.7 works wonder on self-assembled $200 mini-ITX PC
Tofloor
poster avatar
heavensword
deepin
2022-10-10 06:45
Author

I assembled a mini-ITX from parts found on Aliexpress for $200 USD total (minus the display and keyboard and mouse of course).

This is the motherboard I used:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803923167202.html

This system works like a GEM on Deepin 20.7! The reason I chose the 3rd gen Intel Core i5 motherboard is because I want this computer to run anything from Window XP, 7, 8, up to 10 (and possibly 11 too).

OMG, upon fresh install of Deepin 20.7 to multi-boot along side Windows 7 and XP, I wasn't expecting much. After all this type of computer came out in 2012/2013 so should be considered pretty out-dated but still plenty useful.

I was surprised the sound works just like that. Also what surprised me even more, I plug in a Wifi 4 USB dongle made by Belkin. It's even using draft version of WiFi 4 (not completed finalized version) and works just like that.

I had problems with Deepin 20.7 on Huawei Matebook D 15 (2021 version). The sound doesn't work only Bluetooth sound to headset, but the wifi is fine. Deepin 20.7 certainly works like a charm on my newly assembled mini-ITX PC!

I need to evualate more/other USB wifi dongles on this system to see if they work with Deepin 20.7 without needing drivers, but OMG WiFi4 (draft version) from some obscure manufacturer working like that without drivers? It's unbelieveable!

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
heavensword
deepin
2022-10-10 14:26

I got Deepin to output 2560x1440 from above mini-ITX PC to my QHD monitor using custom resolution hack from:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html

xrandr --newmode "2560x1440" 220.812 2560 2608 2640 2720 1440 1443 1448 1478 -hsync -vsync

and activate it as usual with

xrandr --addmode HDMI2 "2560x1440"

What the heck? Who wrote this? When I typed in the second line, I get error output not found. Nearly gave up, then went to display in control panel and saw display was using "HDMI-1". replaced the HDMI2 with that and it worked!

Reply View the author
heavensword
deepin
2022-10-11 07:05

The nice thing about mini-ITX systems is you can connect a laptop LCD screen (mostly TN screens for the older motherboards not the IPS screens that require newer technology) without needing a separate LCD controller or power source. If the motherboard has LVDS (or eDP for newer boards) pins, then can connect laptop screen directly to the board using LVDS/eDP cable!

You can see here my mini-ITX PC has 14 inch laptop TN screen with native resolution 1600x900 attached to it. The HDD sits outside of the PC case next to the screen stand because I want to be able to rapidly swap the HDD. Computer runs my three most favorite OSes: Windows XP, Windows 7, and Deepin 20.7

ITX-a.png

ITX-b.png

ITX-c.png

ITX-d.png

ITX-e.png

I will admit that my current main OS is Windows 7, BUT not by choice! The purpose of having a PC is not for entertainment, not for web browsing, not for editting office documents. The point of having a personal computer is allow you to create custom software. I have never taken a programming course in school. But that doesn't stop me from using self-made software as the main activity on the computer!

I'm currently tied to Windows 7 because .NET application are too easy to create in Visual Studio. Soon as Deepin offers an alternative to Microsoft .NET for casual programming (doesn't have to be a complete fancy enterprise solution, but just something simple for enthusiasts and hobbyists), I will say goodbye to Windows 7 and only use it to file my taxes (because obviously the tax software can only run on Windows)!

Reply View the author
heavensword
deepin
2022-10-11 07:15

Oh, yeah I forgot to clarify one thing. I find modern computer monitors are USELESS for work and productivity. When I need to do work or be productive, I connect my mini-ITX to directly to a laptop screen via LVDS cable (see pics in above post). The laptop screen offers superior image quality and clarity compared to desktop monitors!

I find the desktop monitor has ONE very excellent use, which is to act as a bedroom TV. Especially the QHD monitors make super-excellent TV's to view 1080p and 1440p/4K videos from a far distance, like on the bed! (This is why I attempted to create a custom resolution of 2560x1440 in post #2 to drive the desktop monitor for TV viewing...)

Reply View the author
vivian_me
deepin testing team
2022-10-11 21:55

welcome to deepin!yeah

Reply View the author
heavensword
deepin
2022-10-17 07:21

OK, just to let everyone know, my ITX PC runs Deepin 20.7 the slowest. Win7 on this PC is like a speed demon but not Deepin. Anyone interested in just running Deepin OS should get better/newer/faster/smaller PC for way less and that includes the case, RAM, SSD and WiFi card. Just search Celeron N5105 mini PCs on Aliexpress. The downside, those PCs don't include LVDS/eDP pins to directly connect to laptop LCD screen. So you will need to buy an LCD controller and separate power adapter if you want to work with DIY monitors...

Reply View the author