Information on Deepin and Debian
Tofloor
poster avatar
abhi281
deepin
2020-10-19 06:08
Author
Hello,

I am a new Deepin user from Bangladesh. I know deepin is based on Debian Stable (which is 10.6 at the moment).
I have some questions:

1) When Debian repository gets packages update (10.6 will become 10.7 and so on), does packages in Deepin repository also get update? or Deepin repository maintain different package versions than Debian stable repository?

2) Can I add Ubuntu PPA(s) in deepin to install some latest packages?

3) is there any way to add Debian Testing/unstable repository in Deepin to get cutting edge packages?

Thanks in advance for information.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
ghostry
deepin
2020-10-19 06:17
deepin and debian use different repository,don't cross use .

also don't use ubuntu ppa in deepin.
Reply View the author
abhi281
deepin
2020-10-19 06:20
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/204006
deepin and debian use different repository,don't cross use .

also don't use ubuntu ppa in deepin.

So how often packages in Deepin repository gets update?
Reply View the author
SamLukeYes
deepin
2020-10-19 06:39
1. Deepin uses its own repositories and seldom get package updates from Debian buster, except for some serious security updates.
2. PPAs are not supported by Deepin currently. You can add the PPA's APT line and signature manually like adding it in Debian, but be aware that it is on your own risk.
3. Not recommended to do so. If you want Deepin DE with packages on cutting edge, you'd better choose an Arch based distro with DDE.
Reply View the author
忘记、过去
deepin
2020-10-19 07:34
1) In September, Deepin just updated its basic repo following Debian 10.5. It is always later than Debian stable for there is quite much difference between these two repo.
2) Not recommended. Not only it is hard to make it work on Deepin, but also most software released by Ubuntu PPA won't work well on Deepin for the difference between their basic repos.
3) Not recommended. Of course you can add new source in /etc/apt/sources.list or create new list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, just run "sudo apt update" and then you can get cutting edge packages. But this will destroy dependency relationship of your system, and the whole DDE environment won't work properly.
Reply View the author
jingle
deepin
2020-10-19 17:22
Reply View the author