Is there any way to get into root terminal in recovery mode?
Tofloor
poster avatar
aaronely
deepin
2019-01-17 22:37
Author
There has to be a way. Recovery is pointless if I cannot enable networking and access root terminal. I'm trying to troubleshoot the image on my laptop, I suspect the nouveau driver, I would like to install the Nvidia 415 driver, but I cannot get the desktop to load. I log in and the busy cursor stays there until the screen blacks out. I do not know how to find logs, or anything. HOW IS THIS DONE????
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Sino_CiCi
deepin
2019-01-18 01:11
you may need to go to press 'e' key before you enter the recovery mode. then you will need to edit the startup profile, then you can use the root terminal and then remove the nouveau driver. There is a helping instruction site https://www.qingsword.com/qing/ubuntu-remove-nvidia.html  , though it is written in Chinese....
Reply View the author
deepinuser17
deepin
2019-01-18 07:14
You can try switching to a text console by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F3. Login as a regular user. then run "sudo init 3". Update NVIDIA driver

Reply View the author
aaronely
deepin
2019-01-18 18:23
Hey, thanks guys. I expected to get no reply, so this is nice. Ill let you guys know what I find.
Reply View the author
aaronely
deepin
2019-01-18 19:17
Edited by aaronely at 2019-1-18 15:16

Switching to text mode worked like a charm. It most certainly was that nouveau driver. Funny story: I actually had tried crtl + f1 & f2 -- I believe this was the trick in ubuntu that you could use during boot... But thanks. Now ill play with upgrading the kernel. maybe I can get 5.0 to work on this thing. I have an NVMe HD so it would be worthwhile. Thanks for your help! I've been dying to get deepin on this laptop.

I have a MSI GL62M with a GTX 1050ti btw for anyone else that has this issue.
*update*

The 5.0-rc2 I compiled myself just took. Now I just need to get it to work on my dekstop... I have 2 GTX 1080s with SLI... I really want to get 5.0 on there with the PCI peer-to-peer support enabled... If any of you guys have some ideas, Im all ears! Thanks again!

Reply View the author