Deepin 15.8 Installation Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI)
Tofloor
poster avatar
johnmor
deepin
2018-12-18 10:59
Author
Edited by johnmor at 2018-12-18 03:20

Hey everyone!

So, the Deepin Desktop Environment looks smooth and well designed. So, I thought I would give it a try.  (I've been a Linux Mint guy so far.). Well, installing the DE within LM 19, worked... but not everything. Some fonts and backgrounds didn't integrate well. Spent some time fiddling with it and could not get it working right. So, Why not... Download the ISO and install, replacing LM 19. The LM 19 alongside Windows 10 worked without issue. GRUB saw Windows 10 and added it it's menu and I was able to boot via UEFI to either OS (Yes, I did mention the LM 19 install and UEFI on purpose, for reference.).

So, now comes Deepin. I take the ISO, install it on a USB drive (I have a new MSI GE72MVR laptop, so no optical drive.). The USB stick boots without issue and the installation proceeds normally. It sees the Windows EFI partition, I make a new partition for Deepin, and a swap partition. It does not ask me to install with UEFI or legacy... there just is no selection. So, it installs... to 60% and then errors out.

Now, I've found that if I switch my BIOS from booting UEFI (tried both with and without CSM) to Legacy, the USB stick boots, I configure as needed, and it allows me to select the drive where to setup GRUB, etc. Installed without an issue and completed successfully. A reboot in Letgacy works perfectly, except I can't boot into Windows 10 now. If I swap from Legcay back to UEFI, it boots to Windows 10 with no GRUB selection.

So, it appears that it won't install correctly under UEFI, but will with Legacy. And, let me just clarify...
  • Secure Boot is Disabled.
  • Fast Boot is Disabled.
  • Windows 10 was shutdown as well and Fast Boot in Windows has been disabled.

Also, if it matters, both Windows 10 and Deepin 15.8 are on a NVMe SSD.

So, I ask one of two things... can I convert my Legacy installation to UEFI, or can I get assistance to install under UEFI? I am going to reinstall under UEFI to see if I can get the error.
Here is the link that it gives:
http://dra.deepin.org:8888/?m=H4sIAAAAAAACA3VOTU/DMAy951e87QzthGBCPTOJP8C5Shq3DQ1xZCcb/HsyaQd2wHqS7fdh2eC+3ihT8jpAnYYlFeYIVwtCgyJxa0mLjdG6SOY04CNdJxTGxCI0FWThxnzpA364YrVnwkrRwwlvlJDttNmFtDN9VenVhdQvUt3j7fCAl8OA/7S/WydkG3V9auaavIHZ7XASYbk3YrYhkscllBU0h+MzPFEOqSXembebPmB/eBqVSs2jYy6RrScZv1+P3Se7vfkFtdNLVywBAAA=

The following is provided:
mon (>= 2.02ubuntu8.1) but 2.02-beta3-4 is to be installed
Depends: sbsigntool but it is not installable.
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
/usr/sbin/grub-install: 50: /usr/sbin/grub-install: grub-install.real: not found

!! Error: grub-install failed with efi64 deepin

Hook failedL "02_setup_bootloader__x86_.job"

2.4.9, 15.8, Desktop

Thanks!

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
johnmor
deepin
2018-12-18 13:29
Hey everyone,

So, I've found the following Ubuntu article... I figured since Deepin and Ubuntu are a derivative of Debian, this should work:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Converting_Ubuntu_into_UEFI_mode

I've also used the following to install boot-repair on Deepin:
  1. sudo apt-get install software-properties-common python-software-properties -y
  2. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
  3. sudo apt-get update
  4. sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
Copy the Code

Alas, boot-repair cannot convert to EFI unless it has already booted in EFI mode. So, downloaded the boot-repair live ISO and installing on my USB flash drive... I'll let you know!
Reply View the author
johnmor
deepin
2018-12-20 08:58
OK, so I just solved my issue.

I had booted into Windows 10 PE and removed the EFI partition. Created a new one and formatted as UEFI. See the link below:
https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/bootrec-fixboot-access-is-denied.html#fix-boot

Once the new EFI partition was formatted, performed a "bootrec /fixboot" to get Windows on the EFI partition. I rebooted to make sure it loaded Windows without an issue, it did.

Then, I started the Deepin installation booting in UEFI.

The progress bar passed 60% this time and finished installing. Rebooted and checked the UEFI boot options in the BIOS... "deepin" is now there. Rebooted into the deepin UEFI loader and both Windows and Deepin are available. Just tested both and they both load.

So, it appears to have been an issue with the Windows EFI partition that was causing my issue. After removing and recreating it, the issue was resolved.

Hope this helps someone else.
Reply View the author
jyxlfd
deepin
2018-12-20 16:53
英文版的看不太懂啊
Reply View the author
bibichuan
deepin
2018-12-20 17:03
我给翻译一下,就是说在UEFI模式下,deepin安装失败。好像确实有这个问题。
Reply View the author