Deepin desktop broken after 15.6 upgrade
Tofloor
poster avatar
cga2000
deepin
2018-06-17 16:41
Author
Edited by cga2000 at 2018-6-18 01:05

I just did an "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" on my Deepin system and it looked as if everything went smoothly.

Then there appears to have been some sort of lock-up. The mouse pointer was still active but the keyboard was unresponsive. Then I got a loud continuous beeeeeeeeeep that I was unable to mute. After trying a number of things the only option to do a hard reset of the system by long-pressing the laptop's ON/OFF button. I rebooted the system and the boot process appears to be able to repair the root file system successfully.

But I saw some messages in red and orange informing me that "[FAILED] unable load kernel modules" (or something to that effect… the messages tend to disappear very quickly) and the machine had some issue with connecting to my internal Wi-Fi network ("link not ready" and such like).

After I logged in… it looked as if the desktop came up OK but I noticed that the sound of the little jingle that you get at startup was very loud.

I also saw that the menu and icons bar at the bottom of the screen was not visible. Which means that the system was basically not functional.

I managed to open a terminal by right-clicking on the desktop and clicking on something that said "open in terminal" (IIRC).

I did another "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" and that didn't tell me that the apt system was broken or anything.

I was able to launch firefox from the command prompt and that worked as well.

I was also able to access the deepin-control-center by using the hot corner at the bottom right of my screen and I didn't see anything suspicious.

So it looks like pretty much everything is still there and functioning normally but since I don't have access to the "start" menu or the icons I have in the bottom bar I am unable to use the system for anything… except perhaps debugging this issue from the terminal.

Has anyone run into this kind of problem…?

FYI, the laptop is a fairly old Thinkpad… a system that normally has no particular issues with running linux distros.

Thanks,

CJ

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
cga2000
deepin
2018-06-25 15:06
Just a reminder.

I have an up-to-date Deepin system on my laptop and I lost the icon/task bar at the bottom of the screen. All I have access to is right-clicking the wallpaper that lets me fire up a terminal and access to the settings via the bottom right hot corner of the display.

How am I supposed to fix this?

Thanks,

CJ
Reply View the author