Can't Run Google Chrome
Tofloor
poster avatar
hexa
deepin
2017-09-01 08:24
Author
Hello All!

I just installed Deepin on a 2001 Compaq Presario desktop. The install went successful and I'm currently in the UI. I want to use Google Chrome, but it tells me "Google Chrome can't run on this computer because the hardware is not supported". Is there a way to install an older version of Chrome or bypass the message? Otherwise, is there a way to install something like Firefox via the terminal? If so, could someone please provide me with the code that I should run there?

Thanks so much in advance!

Austin
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
nipos
deepin
2017-09-01 09:41
You can install better alternatives using two ways.
There is the appstore where you can simply search for Opera or Firefox.
The second way is using the terminal.
Install Opera (recommended): sudo apt-get install opera
If it doesn't work,try it with opera-stable,I'm not sure about the package name
Install Firefox: sudo apt-get install firefox
I recommend using the appstore because you don't seem to know much about the terminal.
If they both don't work,there are even more alternatives.
One of them would be Midori: sudo apt-get install midori
Or QupZilla: sudo apt-get install qupzilla
I'm not sure if the last two are available in the official repositories but here the terminal method is recommended because there are more programs and it is more likely that you will find it there.
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-01 11:59
2001, well, thats a bit old haha... Chrome won't offer support for such old hardware, and Chromium based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, Brave), probably won't offer suport, too... Anyway, as your hardware must be limited, ram, disk, you can try light browsers, like Midori, Min or Pale Moon, greetings.
Reply View the author
hexa
deepin
2017-09-02 07:38
Thanks for your responses! I tried using the software center, but every file fails to install. I also can't open the Control Center. Any idea why this happens? I was able to get Firefox through firefox.com and had to install via the terminal.
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-02 20:30
The problem maybe is the hardware, how much ram you have and how much is consuming Deepin on idle?, terminal is more reliable for installing when resources are low, but first, please tell me your pc specs, so I can know how much free space you have (cpu, ram) to work. Maybe you need a light distro for your hardware.
The minimum requirements of Deepin are: 2ghz dual core processor, 512mb of ram, and at least 5-10GB of disk.
Reply View the author