Opera Browser Problem
Tofloor
poster avatar
mew
deepin
2017-07-27 14:25
Author
Edited by mew at 2017-7-27 06:46

Just installed Deepin 15.4 as part of a dual boot. I like it so much that I am considering making it my main distro, possibly my only distro in future. There are a few things that need improving, such as providing a nice theme for the file manager and other apps that is between all white and all dark themes, perhaps with a dark bar on top and some grey shading at the sides etc.  But my biggest annoyance is with Opera Browser which will only open in a small screen not full screen. I thought the issue was with the version 45.0.2552.888 configured for Deepin and available in the Deepin Store. So I installed the latest version 46.0.2597.57 from the Opera website itself,  but the small screen startup problem persists. The only way to get Opera browser in Deepin to open full screen on startup is to use the setting ''Continue where I left off'',  which is a pain because you have to remember to return to your favorite search engine page before exiting the browser for a seamless start next time you open Opera. But when I use this work-around and open Opera in this way, I notice that the Deepin dock briefly duplicates itself before Opera starts full screen. So I believe the Deepin team may have set Opera to always start small screen to avoid this dock problem. Am I correct? If so, please fix this issue because Opera is my favorite browser because of its native VPN and native adblocker. All the other browsers I have tried in Deepin don't have this small screen startup issue. Thank you Deepin Team for all your hard work and your beautiful Deepin operating system. I appreciate your talent and your skill very much.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
nipos
deepin
2017-07-29 05:10
I used Opera for a long time with Deepin.
I have used Yandex Browser for some weeks as Opera gets buggier with every update but I think I had Opera 46 before I changed so I should have had this issue too.
I set it to continue where I left off because I don't want to reopen my 30 tabs manually everyday but there wasn't a bug with the dock.
I don't want to test it again as it would open very many tabs and that would take a while but probably only you have this problem.
Reply View the author
mew
deepin
2017-07-29 16:50
Edited by mew at 2017-7-29 08:55

Hi nipos. Thanks for the reply. I have Deepin running in a dual-boot set-up with Linux Lite and I use Opera browser 46.0.2597.57 with Linux Lite as well and it works perfectly fine in that distro, so I think that this may rule out that the problem I've been having with Opera in Deepin is a hardware issue. I've also installed and tried every browser available in the Deepin Store and all of them ran perfectly fine in Deepin and opened full screen on all occasions. It's interesting that you say that Opera has lots of bugs because that has not been my experience using Opera both in Linux Lite and previously in Windows Vista. But thanks again for the feedback.
Reply View the author
nipos
deepin
2017-07-30 00:12
Opera is still one of the best browsers but there are some little things which drive me crazy:
-It signs me off from Opera Link automatically without displaying a warning
-Since some updates I can't play browsergames as they are very slow.
-I can't set the search engine which I want.
The last one is not really a bug but it's very very very annoying.
I need an shortcut for every search because I can't set Yandex as default.
The one who created that mess with the search engines should be fired!
Unluckily I can't do anything with your problem but I wanted to make the thing with Opera clear.
Reply View the author
deepinwang
deepin
2017-07-31 03:32
Could this be a issue of configuration?
You may try to backup your configuration for opera (~/.config/opera/), remove it, then launch Opera to see if it behaves normally.
Reply View the author