Hard Drive Permission Issue
Tofloor
poster avatar
dfergfla
deepin
2017-06-25 14:47
Author
Edited by dfergfla at 2017-6-25 07:00

Ok, so I installed Deepin on my laptop about two weeks ago and have really liked it.  So, I thought I would install it on my desktop also.  I really should have just not.

I have two drives, one for storage and one for OS and Software.  I formated and installed Deppin on the OS drive.  Then I looged in under my user ID, I am admin, and used Gparted to create the partition and format the 2nd HD.  But, for some completly insane reason I don't have write permission to this drive.  Even though I created it, while logged in under my own UserID.  Even though it is mounted under my media/dferg/ folder.  I can't create folders, I can't put files on it.  I have been fighting for over two hours to do something as simple as format and use an HD in this OS.    I have tried every option there is, primay, extented and every single file format listed.  Nothing I do will allow me to have read access to the damn partition I myself created.   To say i am frustrated would not even cover how I feel about this.

Donald
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
nipos
deepin
2017-06-26 01:44
Any problems with formatting again?No?
Well,I will give you the exact steps how to set it up but I'm not 100 per cent sure that it will work.
Go into the terminal and run "sudo -s" to get root rights.
Now partition the disk with the command "cfdisk /dev/sdX"
Replace X with your second hard drive.
Now delete all partitions from the disk and create a new one.
Make it a primary partition with all space you have on the disk.
Then save the partition table and exit cfdisk.
If it says that the cfdisk command is not found try fdisk.
It's similar and I think it's preinstalled everywhere.
The next step is formatting your new partition.
Run this command: mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdX1
Now edit your fstab to automatically mount this disk on boot.
Please note that you still need root permissions.
That's the command: gedit /etc/fstab
Create a folder in your file system where you want to mount your disk.
Now append this line to your /etc/fstab without deleting the other things in the file:
/dev/sdX1 /path/to/your/mount/folder ext4 rw,noatime 0 0
Please look exactly at the structure of the line!
Adding or deleting spaces messes it up.
sdX1 should be replaced by your drive in /dev and /path/to/you/mount/folder should be replaced by the path of the folder you created in the last step.
I hope it will work now.
Reply View the author
dfergfla
deepin
2017-06-26 06:34
I tried formatting that HD from within Deepin like 2 dozen times.  I did solve the problem.  I booted a Ubuntu 17.04 USB and formatted it with that.  Now the HD works.  But I am now having problems seeing network shares.  Problems that vanish as soon as I boot an Ubuntu USB.  I am beginning to think that Deepin is all glitz and flash but a bug ridden mess.  They need to fire their QA team, if they even have one.  As a QA Analyst I have serious doubts that this distro was tested before release.
Reply View the author
nipos
deepin
2017-06-26 08:02
I never tested the Deepin operating system.
I can only say that the Deepin Desktop Environment works well on Arch Linux.
The hard disk should have worked with Deepin using my tutorial too.
Probably the graphical thing for formatting is a bit buggy but the console should work everywhere.
Reply View the author
dfergfla
deepin
2017-06-26 08:16
I really love the desktop they have created.  But damn if once you scratch below the look pretty stuff.  It seems to be a mess. Software from the software store that doesn't work, can't format a HD and use it.  Can't use the network.  Seriously?  This is a mess.   I really want this to work, but I'm just about to call it quits and just go to Ubuntu.  I don't like their desktop, at all...period.  But at least their distro actually works.
Reply View the author