[NVIDIA] How to fix the "huge fonts" problem with nvidia-driver
Tofloor
poster avatar
calgues
deepin
2016-09-01 16:55
Author
Hello there.

It's my first post here. I come from a yearly experience with many distros (mainly ubuntu, mint, arch and opensuse) and I finally landed on Deepin. Sorry for my being abrupt, but I would like to share with all the forum users a little solution I found on the net to a long-standing issue with the nvidia proprietory drivers on debian derivatives: system fonts being huge after installing nvidia-driver package, which problem I encountered on Deepin too.

Basically, you just have to reduce the dpi to a value of 96, which is easy in theory, but not always in practice. Also, most tutorials and solutions you find on the net tell you to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which is actually no more commonly used by more recent versions of Xorg. Another solution is the execution of 'xrandr -dpi 96', which is only a temporary solution though, only until next reboot. So, what to do?

What you can do in Deepin, which uses lightdm as a display manager, is to set its config file so as to overrun the nvidia driver settings and force it to set dpi at the value of 96 or what you usually use. Here is what to do:

In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, you can override the xserver-command parameter (which usually defaults to simply "X"). Set as follows:
xserver-command=X -dpi 96
Reboot and you're ready to go. Basically, every Display Manager can be so set: just need to find and tweak the appropriate files. The solution is taken from http://askubuntu.com/questions/7 ... he-proper-dpi-for-x

To the admins: I wanted to share this with everyone because it is not always easy to find a clean solution to this problem and every Desktop Environment has usually its own. I had to spend some time finding it. Please feel free to modify my post as you believe more appropriate regarding its form.

Cheers averyone!
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies

No replies yet