Unable to launch after restart
Tofloor
poster avatar
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-05 07:44
Author
Hello All,

I'm a long term Mac user who recently had to buy a PC for a project and want to use it to start learning Linux.  Hopefully that will explain if I don't get all of the details right the first time around.

I'm attempting to dual boot with Windows 10.
Machine info:
Acer Aspire E 14
8GB Memory
1TB Hard drive
2.2GHz Core i5

I partitioned the drive to give me roughly 300GB for Deepin and was succesfully able to go through the USB boot and instalation.  Once I restart, it goes straight to Windows.  I'm unable to find any Grub or any other way to switch operating systems.  I've tried reinstalling with no luck.  I've adjusted the BIOS to load HDD first, still nothing.  I've also turned off the safe login.  I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.  Everything seems to have been good on the install, but unable to figure out how to get into Deepin.  

I've also tried reinstalling Deepin using expert mode, but have not been able to find a "Swap" option.  Since everything I've seen indicates I need to set a Swap partition, I've cancelled each time I've tried.

Thanks in Advance,

Jason
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
stevex
deepin
2016-08-05 10:09
Edited by stevex at 2016-8-5 02:44

Your problem dual booting with W10 is, unfortunately, common.  I saw a solution the other day where when you go straight to Windows you can enter a command as Administrator in W10 that will fix your booting problems and allow you to boot into either OS. Sorry to say, though, that I cannot remember the website where I saw that solution.It may have been on the Ubuntu forum. In any case it appeared to be a certifiable solution.  If you do a search for dual booting W10 and Linux you should be able to find the command.Sorry I cannot be of more help.Good luck. I just found the command, below, in Ubuntu forum. Use at own risk, as is said.

[url=]down vote[/url]accepted

I just had to run this in windows as an administrator : bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi Grub appears fine on boot and I can boot into Ubuntu and Win10 fine.      

* Replace "ubuntu" with "deepin" in command, I assume. You may want to read about it on Ubuntu forum before running this command.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-08-05 10:32
Edited by com_bvv at 2016-8-5 02:33

with the amount of memory 8Gb the swap partition is not necessary. in an extreme case, then you can use zswap
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-05 11:09
Hey guys,

Thanks for input!  It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.  I feel a little less like an idiot now.  I did see some similar solutions in the Ubuntu forums, but with this version of Deepin being based on Debian, I was afraid to get too wrapped up in them.  Still rather new to where the lines are drawn across the systems.

Thanks Again,

Jason
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-05 11:32
Windows 10 is a beast; once it gets its teeth locked to a pcs bios one is in trouble.You could look at the problem in the Debian forums and see if the same command works for Debian distros, which is most likely the case in that Ubuntu is derrived from Debian. Good luck.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 06:09
Hey guys,

Just wanted to update.  I wanted to wait until I knew I'd have time to reinstall everything if the whole computer came crashing down, but Stevex's solution worked like a charm.

1. bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\deepin\grubx64.efi
Copy the Code

Now I just have to go reorganize the grub so that my wife doesn't fall into a pit of confusion when it automatically loads Deepin after 5 seconds instead of Windows.

Thanks Again!
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-07 07:23
Glad it worked. I might also suggest that you set W10 as the default OS to boot first, for when W10 needs to update it must be able to start up and shut down your pc in order to do so, and it will sometimes break your setup trying to update. W10 is set by default to hibernate your pc even when you think you have shut it completely off, and that is why it can install updates while one is sleeping. So you might think about disabling the default hibernation mode and changing your settings on how W10 updates are delivered.What a hassle to dual boot.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 07:57
Thanks for the feedback Stevex.  I did change Windows to the default, more for my wife than the reasons listed here, but still set.  As for the updates, I'm hoping to get my wife to try out some other Linux platforms and see if we can't dump Windows off the machine all together.  I'm really not a fan of Microsoft, but for the next couple of months I have to use it for the project I'm working on.  Thanks again for everything!
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-07 08:05
You are welcome. Good luck.
Reply View the author