Packages and NVIDIA problem
Tofloor
poster avatar
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 05:48
Author
First, I'm new around deepin and i'm wondering about which packages can i use to install other apps like apache, git, and etc.
i'm talking about a repository package like a ppa in ubuntu, is there any alternatives for me to use stuff like this in deepin?

Second, I've tried a couple of times installing the NVIDIA drivers either from the Driver Manager or using the .run from the official website, but none of them worked out for me, the official .run left me a blank screen so i need to use tty to remove them, and the Driver Manager's one doesn't left me a blank screen at first, only i can't start steam because it says "OpenGL GLX not supported by display", but the last time i've tried it it gaves me blank screen.

Third, i've tried modifying the sources.list but because it doesn't ended up well for me then i've clean it all up back again, will it effect me anything because of what i've seen around the forum that playing around the sources.list is a kind of not suggested.

ps. sorry for my bad english and for beeing so noobs.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
tristar
deepin
2016-05-25 07:06
Edited by tristar at 2016-5-24 16:11

If you want fast updates then playing with the sources.list is necessary. And you cant hurt or damage your deepin installation if you change from slow deepin to faster mirror. You will get upgrades few days later than from official, but who cares, if you want fast download then this is price for sure.

Other things, for my nvidia was installation of the drivers from "driver manager" I believe it's right translation for it, as I have slovenian language enabled. But you say is not working for you, then maybe you can use https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30495 script.

I'm using synaptic for all my installations at least for those wich are not in software store. Install it like this from the terminal:

sudo apt install apt-xapian-index synaptic

Install both packages, first one builds index of all software (quicker searches).
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 07:25
okay, i'll try the synaptic and the script later in the morning.
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 07:26
and thanks for your help *sorry for spam comments, this site's comment feature doesn't goes well with the mobile version.
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 07:29
and one more thing, about the sources, do you mean editing it by doing the "switch" or by manually edit the file? if it manually, then where's a good source for one? and can i use debian package which aren't made especially for deepin?
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-05-25 10:29
Manually, and you need to use "apt" from terminal to do upgrades. I'm using this one:

deb [by-hash=force] http://ftp.fau.de/deepin unstable main contrib non-free

you can use packages from debian repositories as deepin is from 15 version based on debian SID, but not from ubuntu (some of the ubuntu packages you can install, but most of them not)
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 16:29
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31049
Manually, and you need to use "apt" from terminal to do upgrades. I'm using this one:

deb  http://f ...

well that explain a lot, i'm about to try the script and the synaptic and i'll tell you how is it going.

thanks a lot for your help {
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-25 17:30
the synaptic helps me a lot like a magic, but the NVIDIA still doesn't ended up well for me.

i've followed the script that you gave me and it ended up like this.

it says i'm done, then whenever i'm trying to "startx" or do a reboot it ended up like this.

Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-05-25 20:14
Can you install hwinfo and let see what it detect?

sudo apt install hwinfo

after that run this command and check what is detected:

sudo hwinfo --gfxcard
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-26 06:38
should i do it when i'm already installing the driver or not?
Reply View the author
fool
deepin
2016-05-26 06:38
because i've removed the driver now
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-05-26 07:44
I'm sure it's not important if you have driver or not, it's not working anyway. So just run command and put here some infos. Let see what is detected.
Reply View the author