poster avatar
austra
deepin
2016-03-12 15:55
Author
Edited by austra at 2016-3-12 07:52

[ I hope this is the right subforum now. >.< ]

Hi!{:4_99:}

I am new-ish to Linux and have a hard time trying to connect to my VPN. It was easy and straightforward on Ubuntu, but here on deepin it just won't work.

This is my setup:

https://i.gyazo.com/08d800ea7063c90d88f7769f5802bc0b.jpg

I tried with and without IPSEC, even though I'd like to have that enabled. Tried to fill the group name&id with random words because my provider didn't say anythign about those. Same goes for all the settings. On Ubuntu the preshared key was enough and I wasn't asked for all those things in MPPE. I literally have no idea what all that stuff is. I just want a L2tp connection with IPsec with my provider(Privatoria). It's my first time seeing so many options in a VPN setup. It kills me.

OpenVPN doesn't work for me in China.

Please help me! Thanks a lot!

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
austra
deepin
2016-03-12 15:55
Edited by austra at 2016-3-12 09:03

Another thing I'd like to get help with is Proxy Settings. I entered my proxy address and port, but there is no field for password/username and I can't connect without it. I tried username:[email protected] + the Port, but that didn't work. {:4_114:}

PS: If you're gonna recommend the terminal, please help me with the right commands. And if you're gonna recommend another graphical network manager, then please also share a download instruction. Thank you! {:4_122:}
Reply View the author
u855697021
deepin
2016-03-15 18:33
Deepin control center always fails to establish a VPN connection.
So I wrote a script and use that script to connect to and disconnect from a VPN.
The proxy settings seem not to work too, and many Chinese users have complained about that.

Also many people in China do not rely on VPN because it can be easily blocked by GFW.
So does clear text HTTP proxies.
You may have a look at Shadowsocks(SS), SS+obfs or HTTP/2 proxy.
Shadowsocks is a common way to break GFW, while the latter two methods are state-of-the-art censorship circumventing techniques, but require you to have a server outside China and know how to configure these proxies.
Reply View the author