Deepin Launcher can't run custom command and options
Tofloor
poster avatar
jotapesse
deepin
2016-02-25 07:31
Author
Edited by jotapesse at 2016-2-24 15:55

I reported the following issue/limitation with Deepin Feedback recently. I post it here for reference.--
Problem: Deepin Launcher only allows to start the listed applications. I can't run a custom command and command options.

Example: I have several skype profiles and I want to run several skype instances with different profiles. Skype can be started with the option--dbpath= so the command would be skype --dbpath= and so on. I have to use the terminal and run the command in background:
  1. $ skype --dpath= &
  2. $ skype --dpath= &
Copy the Code

Request:
Allow Deepin Launcher to run any custom command, in example when writing the name of the app to search and running it with custom options.Alternatively provide and extra app to popup in desktop (with keyboard shortcut: typically Alt+F2) and run a custom command.

--

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
jotapesse
deepin
2016-02-25 07:47
Edited by jotapesse at 2016-2-24 15:56

I was used to Alt-F2 in Xfce and it worked well and fast.

Since then I have installed Synapse from Deepin Store and it works nicely, even does more, although not as fast an it doesn't feel well integrated in the desktop (design). A secont alternative (and lighter one) I have tried is to install the Xfce App Finder by:
  1. $ sudo apt-get install xfce4-appfinder
Copy the Code

It works by running:
  1. $ xfce4-appfinder -c
Copy the Code

You may map the above command in Deepin Control Center key shortcut, in example Alt+F2. It works as expected, light and fast, not as featured as Synapse, and also not well integrated in the desktop (design). Anyway, my first request still stands: a custom command launcher/search box integrated in the Deepin Launcher, just click or key Launch and type away to run/search it.
Any other alternatives you have tried or prefer?
Reply View the author