How to dual-boot Deepin 15 and Windows 10 on a computer with UEFI firmware
Tofloor
poster avatar
finid
deepin
2015-12-30 20:44
Author
If it would help anyone, I just published an article on how to dual-boot Deepin 15 and Windows 10 on a computer with UEFI firmware.

You may access it here
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
kharrisma
deepin
2017-12-13 03:38
Edited by kharrisma at 2017-12-12 19:42

Hope someone is still monitoring this page!

I attempted to do the dual-boot thing (with Deepin 15.5) following the article your provided link led to.

I have a new Dell laptop; it uses uefi secure boot mode; can't boot from a DVD or USB unless you hit F12 at the splash screen and select to change boot mode from uefi secure to legacy.  It then reboots, and you have to F12 again to select the optical drive as the boot source, and then it reboots again, this time from the DVD.  It's a two-step process.

Right away I'm confused... the install screen didn't look like the one in the article (no surprise there, since it's from two-plus years ago).  I figured the overall process itself couldn't be all that different, so I decided to try it anyway.

So I boot from the Deepin DVD, switch to expert mode, OK; but are you then selecting where to install the grub boot manager only, or the whole of the LInux OS?  That isn't made clear in the install process.  I selected the free space I created on the Win drive, worried that I didn't want to cram the whole OS into my Win boot partition;  I never even saw the partition manager at all.  It all went in, rebooted, and the new boot screen showed only Linux options, no Windows at all.  Is this because I didn't select the efi Win boot partition initially?  Again, it isn't made clear that you're choosing only where to install the grub boot manager as opposed to where to install the whole OS.  Wish this were more like the Ubuntu install, where they just ask right up front "do you want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows" or something to that effect!

Fortunately for me, after this calamity, when I rebooted, I hit F12 and selected uefi secure boot, and when it came up, I still had my Win install.  So, I can still dual-boot, sort of; I just have to detour through the F12 menu and select which way to boot (with the additional step of hitting F12 again to select optical drive boot source if booting to Linux.)  Kind of a kludge, but it does work.  Just blind dumb luck that I didn't trash everything and wind up with a Linux-only machine, and then have to restore my original Windows setup from an external-drive disk image taken before beginning this dual-boot process.

If I were to try to install Deepin Linux again, selecting the efi boot partition this time, would all go as you described in the article?  Or do I have to wipe the Linux partition clean (in Windows) of this botched Linux install before trying again?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you might offer!
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-12-31 01:53
lol, i did it on a mac with deb mac and win...
seems that the start up manager did not recongize deb and the deb grub doesn't recognise mac.
but actually, just set the boot loader as the efi one will do, deepin will automatically find the efi partition.
sometimes due to the location of the efi files on the efi partition, the efi boot loader may not recognise windows, is there a way to edit the .efi file for the uefi loader??
Reply View the author